GitOps – Continuous Operations
Getting started with automated operations using GitOps
Offers: Online training In-person training In-house training
Target group: Software Developers Software Architects Administrators
In the Kubernetes environment, GitOps is establishing itself as a new level of automated operations. The term combines the version management Git and "Ops", the abbreviation of IT operations. In GitOps, Kubernetes automatically synchronises itself with Git. Access from the outside (manually or via CI server) is no longer necessary. This type of cloud-native Continuous Delivery offers many advantages.
“GitOps is the right way to do DevOps.” This opinion is not only held by the “father” of the term, the success of the method also shows it (more on this on our glossary page on the topic). After this training, you can judge yourself whether this is also true for you.
The training aims at participants with initial experience with Kubernetes and starts with the basics of GitOps. From the beginning, exercises concretize the theory. The participants learn the differences to CIOps, as well as advantages of GitOps such as the stringent declarative description as Infrastructure as Code.
For the implementation of GitOps, the training shows differences between GitOps tools such as ArgoCD and Flux (see also our article in iX on the topic). Together, we install and configure ArgoCD in Kubernetes. Based on this, participants will learn about the role of the CI server in conjunction with GitOps and how to combine templating (Helm or Kustomize) with it. Everyday challenges such as error handling, observability and deletion of resources are also part of the training. The course concludes with an outlook on complementary tools (for example, for storing secrets and performing progressive delivery) as well as the operation of clusters and other basic infrastructure using GitOps.
Among other things, these questions will be answered:
- What is GitOps?
- How does GitOps differ from “classic” operations and Continuous Delivery?
- What are the benefits of GitOps?
- What are the challenges of implementing GitOps?
- How can GitOps be implemented in a concrete way?
- How can applications be deployed on Kubernetes using GitOps?
- What are the common tools and how do they differ from each other?
- What is the role of the CI server in GitOps?
- How can templating tools be combined with GitOps?
- How can resources be deleted using GitOps?
- How can observability and error handling be implemented using GitOps?
- How to handle secrets in the GitOps process?
- Can the Kubernetes cluster itself also be operated using GitOps?
- Can GitOps be implemented without Kubernetes?
- GitOps Basics
- Advantages and differences to CIOps (imperative vs. declarative)
- Tools to implement GitOps (operators/controllers)
- Comparison between ArgoCD and Flux v2
- Deployment of applications
- Operator setup and configuration
- Observability and error handling
- CI integration
- Templating (Kustomize / Helm)
- Deletion of resources
- Additional tools (Secrets, Progressive Delivery, Backups)
- GitOps for cluster operation
- GitOps without Kubernetes
- The participants of our trainings usually have good prior knowledge in the field of Kubernetes, e.g. through our training “Kubernetes – Application Development and Deployment”. In addition, they have a basic understanding of the Linux shell as well as the basics of CI/CD and Git.
- In addition, you should already be technically prepared if you
- have already participated in a video conference with a browser,
- use a current browser and
- have a stable internet connection.
- In addition, the following system requirements should be met:
- Your computer has a working memory with at least 8 GB RAM.
- You have administration rights for setting up a virtual training environment.
- Your computer is equipped with VirtualBox.
- We are available for your questions and requests regarding our trainings. If you are not sure whether this training right for you, we will be happy to advise you.
- CKAD certificated trainers
- Real Kubernetes cluster, CI and Git server in the cloud
- Provision of computers for the booked training (in-person trainings)
- Training materials included
- Personal certificate of attendance
- Close supervision of min. 5 to max. 12 participants by up to 2 trainers (depending on group size)
- Catering (drinks, snack, lunch) included in the price (in-person trainings)
Exclusive group trainings
|In-house||Customized on request|
|Online||Customized on request|
|07/26 - 07/27/2021||2 days||Online||1599€ 1|
|09/20 - 09/21/2021||2 days||Online||1599€ 1|
|11/15 - 11/16/2021||2 days||Online||1599€ 1|
|on request||2 days||On request||1799€1|